Diatomaceous Earth as Kitty Litter
Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring substance made from fossilized remains of tiny aquatic organisms called diatoms. It is commonly used as a kitty litter due to its excellent absorbency and odor control properties that make it an effective and safe option for pet owners. This DE is milled to 2-8mm with very little powder.
Firstly, diatomaceous earth is highly absorbent. It can absorb up to 1.5 times its weight in moisture, which helps to control odours and keeps the litter box dry. This is important because wet litter can be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can bause unpleasant smells and potentially harm your cat's health.
Secondly, diatomaceous earth is a natural deodoriser. It can help to eliminate odours by absorbing and trapping them, leaving your home smelling fresher and cleaner.
Thirdly, diatomaceous earth is non-toxic and safe for cats. unlike some clay-based litters, it does not contain chemicals or additives that can be harmful if ingested.
Overall, diatomceous earth is a good choice for cat owners who are looking for an effective, natural and safe litter option.
Diatomaceous Earth for Horticulture & Organic Farming/Gardening
DE can be of used as a soil conditioner and here are some of the reasons why:
- Improved drainage - DE's porous structure enhances soil drainage, preventing waterlogging and reducing the risk of root rot in plants.
- Enhanced soil aeration - The addition of DE improves air circulation in the soil, facilitating root respiration and promoting the growth of beneficial soil micro-organisms.
- Nutrient retention and availability - Diatomaceous earth has a high cation exchange capacity, which allows it to attract and hold onto nutrients. This can help prevent nutrient leaching and make essential minerals more accessible to plants.
- Natural pest control - DE can act as a physical barrier against crawling insects like slugs, snails and ants. Its sharp edges can penetrate their exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate and die.
- Organic matter amendment - Overtime, diatomaceous earth weathers and releases trace minerals into the soil, contributing to improved soil fertility and supporting plant growth.
NOTE: DE Poultry Grade & Regular Grade can also be an option for farming/gardening.
Not suitable for human ingestion.
NB: DE may be stored indefinitely in an airtight container, or in a cool dry place. DE has no expiry date.
Size grade - 2 to 8 mm
Animal Food Grade
Use as a Kitty litter
Use as a soil enhancer (garden/farming)
Not suitable for humans
Great for chickens and guinea pigs too26 June 2023Use this for inside my guinea pig and chicken coops. Works well to keep the bedding dry in coops and cages. Plus absorbs odours.